Monday, May 25, 2009

Slumdog Millionaire

My personal rating scale:
5 *'s means WOW!One of my favorite movies :)
4 *'s means I enjoyed watching this movie!
3 *'s means This movie was okay..
2 *'s means I did not like this movie at all
1 * means I hated this movie A LOT!!

My personal rating for "Slumdog Millionaire" is 5 *'s ou of 5 *'s.





Director: Danny Boyle
Producer: Christian Colson

Main actors:


Ayush Mahesh Khedekar as Younger Jamal
Tanay Chheda as Early Teenage Jamal
Dev Patel as oldest Jamal Malik





Azharuddin Mohammed Ismail as Younger Salim
Ashutosh Lobo Gajiwala as Early Teenage Salim
Madhur Mittal as oldest Salim Malik


Rubina Ali as Younger Latika
Tanvi Ganesh Lonkar as Early Teenage Latika
Freida Pinto as oldest Latika


Anil Kapoor as Prem Kumar, the game show host.



This movie is a 2008 British movie but it was set and filmed in India. Slumdog Millionaire was nominated for ten Academic Awards in 2009 and it won 8 !!
This is also a kinf of a foreign and independent movie, actually from Bollywood which is the Indian-version of Hollywood.

This story tells about two little brothers, Jamal and Salim, they grew up in India in a very poor slum.When some people kill their mom, the boys are all alone on the streets, they have nowhere to go.Then they meet a little girl called Latika, she is in their age and does not have a family to go to either. Jamal and Salim take her with them. So they live on a garbage hill, but then some men find them and take them with. In the beginning they seem pretty nice, but then Salim finds out that they just want to kill Jamal and Latika and all the other streetkids that they caught already. So the two brothers escaped, but they leave Latike behind. Then the boys grow into young teenagers and they try to find some jobs as illegal tourguides. But they get caught and they have to flee again. Jamal is very sad, because he misses her friend, Latika, who he actually has fallen in love with. He tries to find her the whole time in his early adulthood.
Actually during those scenes of the boys' lives, the whole movie plays in the show called
" Who wants to be a millionaire?". Jamal is playing in this show and he wins a million $!!!!! But the people wonder, why, because how can he have such a wide knowlegde if he was a streetkid all his life long? But during the movie, you find out that the answers are all written thorughout his whole life and everything just fits perfectly. But back to Jamal and Latika: Is Jamal ever going to find the love of his life again?????


I thought this movie was soooooo AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!! I really liked almost everything about it.
Although, I thought, too, that it was hard to watch, because it seems so incredibly real. It's like you are in there and you just want to help the people in those slums :( I felt so sorry for them, the whole time, but I think the boys learned how to deal with it pretty fast and pretty good.
It was sad that they lost their mother, that's what I thought!
During the whole movie, i really just wanted to know what will happen next. I was always so excited to go back into class. This movie was so intense, but I am glad it had a happy ending. The ending was really, really cute and I liked how they did their typical indian dance in the end.
I really like Bollywood movies and I used to watch them all the time, but "Slumdog Millionaire" was one of the best ones!
The only thing I did not really like was that they had this indian accent when they talked english, and for me, even being an exchange students, I had to listen very closely to understand everything, but that was okay, because I got most of it.
I thought the beginning of this movie was very intense, with the torture scenes of Jamal, and I was just like:" What kind of movie is that? That's really horrible!". But then it got so amazing and I never ever wanted it to stop. But then it did, and I was sad. :(
I very glad I watched this movie and I highly recommend it for everybody who wants to watch it.

Some memorable quotes:

Jamal Malik: I knew you'd be watching.
Latika: I thought we would meet only in death.
Jamal Malik: This is our destiny.
Latika: Kiss me.


Middle Jamal: [seeing the Taj Mahal] Is this heaven?
Middle Salim: You're not dead Jamal.
Middle Jamal: What is it? Some hotel?

Latika: You want to do something for me?
Jamal Malik: Anything.
Latika: Then forget me!


Sources:
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1010048/quotes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slumdog_Millionaire

No comments:

Post a Comment